Questions and Answers about Abortion Pills
Whether you are a person in need of an abortion, a journalist or just curious about our service, here are some frequently asked questions.
Everything you need to know about how to use abortion pills
Every question has a simple answer and a more in-depth answer which refers to scientific articles. The information given here is regularly updated with the latest scientific research.
- How to end a pregnancy with abortion pills?
- Are there other ways to use Misoprostol?
- What happens if you do not use Misoprostol in time?
- What if you take the Mifepristone and then decide not to take the Misoprostol?
- Can you use Mifepristone and/or Misoprostol if you are still breastfeeding?
- Is it safe to have an abortion with pills if you've already had one in the past?
- Can you eat or drink while taking the medicines?
- Why do you only need 4 tablets of Misoprostol after taking Mifepristone?
- When will you start bleeding and how long will it last?
- What if you don’t bleed after taking Misoprostol?
- Can you see the “products” of the abortion (placenta, embryo, blood) and what should you do?
- What are the side effects of the medicines?
- What is a successful abortion and how do you know if you’ve had one?
- What are the symptoms of an allergic reaction to the medication?
- How do you know if you have complications and what should you do?
- How do you know if you have a post-abortion infection?
- How do you know if you have an incomplete abortion?
- What is a curettage/vacuum aspiration and is it necessary after an abortion with pills?
- How do you know if you have a continuing pregnancy?
- What are the chances that the fetus will be malformed if you have an ongoing pregnancy?
- Do you need to have an ultrasound after doing an abortion with pills?
- Does medical abortion increase the risk of breast cancer?
- Will you be able to get pregnant and have children after an abortion with pills?
- When can you start having sexual relations again after having an abortion with pills?
- When can you get pregnant again after having an abortion with pills?
- How can you prevent a future unwanted pregnancy?
- General Sexual & Reproductive Health Advice for Trans* People
- Can you do an abortion with pills when taking masculinizing hormones?
- How can you prevent an unwanted pregnancy if you are trans*?
- How can you prevent infertility if you are trans* and opting for medical transition?
- Additional Resources
Below you can find all the sources used for our Questions and Answers section. By exploring these sources, you can find the scientific studies and articles that further explain and support the information and services that we provide at Women on Web